Thursday, January 19, 2012

Here's a little nugget about me....

Did you know that I'm an angry person? 

Well, I am, and seeing it in Piper reminds me of how I want to handle this emotion in a more positive way.  
I see now how "yelling it out" is very immature of me, and although anger in itself is not a negative thing, we often equate it with that because our action is all wrong. 

When anger arises in me, it's a very real feeling.  My heart beats faster, my palms literally begin to sweat and I sometimes downright want to punch you.  I think the reality of it is, is that I was never shown an example of how to handle my anger positively.  I live out some of the ways my parents handled anger because I was being taught by example.  I'm not saying it was their fault and this is why I deal with it, no, this is just my struggle.  Just like you have your struggle.  Worry, alchoholism, what have you.. 

It wasn't until I was married and began to process this anger in my marriage that I realized something is clearly off. I knew that from instances in my life before marriage, dating as far back as the age of twelve, but it was never displayed in the way it was in marriage.  And even more so, in the way you see your anger in someone else-a child.  

It becomes a very stressed environment here when a 2 year old is yelling and smacking the air and running away.  Wow- seems like ways I handle anger with my spouse and others. (Wanting to punch you in your face and go into a room and slam the door) 

We're a work in progress over here...

I'm really glad I have this struggle though.  It reminds me of my frame.  It reminds me of my need for Him.  

There's power in the struggle.

Here are some proverbs about anger.  I love proverbs because they are so very right even if you don't believe in the bible.  

My favorite one being 'For as churning the milk produces butter, and as wringing of the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife." (30:33)

A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly (14:29)
A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control (29:11)
A quick-tempered man does foolish things (14:17)

What are some ways that help you handle your negative anger?

2 comments:

  1. Me too. I usually stuff/ignore/suppress my anger. But sometimes I vent it and it surprises me how angry I can get. Like shaking with anger. Definitely relate to the wanting to punch someone feeling. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so honest. I think that God has done a mighty work in you bc I think of you as very patient, kind, and loving. Thanks for the scripture...going to pass these on to Jonah. Love you.

    ReplyDelete