Monday, February 21, 2011

Be in the Know

Today i've been in the mood of SPRING cleaning! oh what JOY~ it really is.  i absolutely love cleaning out and throwing away....especially since we are looking to move when our lease runs out mid-April! (SO SOON!)

If anyone knows of a place our little family of 3 1/2 and 2 (large) dogs can rent in the jackson area please please let me know...desperately looking... I'm cleaning up and out and I come across SO MANY THINGS in my kitchen that have teflon coatings...and it wouldn't have been a big deal unless I didn't just read this:

In 2003, the Environmental Protection Agency began studying the health risks and effects of using Teflon, or non-stick cookware. Studies indicated flu-like symptoms can occur when cooking with Teflon-related products. "It feels like the flu," said Jane Houlihan, vice president for research at the Environmental Working Group, an activist organization, "headaches, chills, backache, temperature between 100 and 104 degrees." The "Teflon flu" could be causing millions of Americans to get sick each year and may be responsible for several birth defects in newborns, according to a report by ABC's "20/20" news Fumes from Teflon have also been known to kill caged birds. Officials from Dupont (the makers of Teflon) said, "You get some fumes, yes, and you get a flu-like symptom, which is reversible. The flu is temporary and lasts, at most, for a couple of days. A warning about the flu, while not on the pans themselves, is on the DuPont Web site." Dupont said the Teflon fumes are not that harmful to humans, but did admit they are harmful to pet birds kept in a home. 
See the whole article here.

Now, I know we cant protect ourselves from everything that may be harmful (still debating the steamables vegetables in PLASTIC bags that you HEAT..but anyway...) I think it's good to know your risks...This is directly effecting me because I'm with child and would like to protect my baby as best I can, with the knowledge I have. 

Now while I'm not exactly ready to throw out my $1000 pan set, I might just prefer to use my cast iron or stainless until after the baby comes...

After reading the article..what's your opinion?

on a completely different note...I put Piper in a footed onesie last night for the first time in forever and she looks absolutely precious/hilarious...


  1. Thanks for the info. I recently cleared out all plastic from my house until David complained about not having any big cups to drink from so we have slowly accumulated a few from dinners out. I had not heard the Teflon thing.
    Piper-love, love that gap between her front teeth. Just like GG! :)

  2. Eek! Now I'm worried... ALL ( of our pots and pans and cooking stuff are Calphalon nonstick pans... We've stopped using our microwave. It's super easy. And we try not to use any more plastic... but it's a little more difficult said than done. I love Piper in her onesie! And I'm still so so so excited for you!

  3. You also don't want aluminum based cook wear that can be found in nonstick cook wear and cookie sheets

  4. Rachel, your blog is precious. Piper is adorable, and congratulations on baby #2!

    And I still find those steamables veggies kinda questionable too..

  5. Because birds have extremely sensitive respiratory systems, bird owners must take precautions to protect them. Cooking fumes, smoke and odors that have little or no effect on people can seriously sicken and even kill birds, often quite quickly. Cooking fumes from any type of unattended or overheated cookware, not just non-stick, can damage a bird's lungs with alarming speed. This is why bird owners should take steps to protect their pets, such as keeping their birds out of the kitchen, never leaving cookware unattended, never allowing pots and pans to overheat, and making sure that their kitchen is properly ventilated at all times.

    In terms of Polymer Fume Fever... Over the past 40 years, there have been only a few reported accounts of polymer fume fever as a result of severely overheating non-stick cookware. It should be noted that butter, fats, and cooking oils will begin to smoke at approximately 400°F (204°C), producing fumes that can irritate eyes, nose, and throat and possibly cause respiratory distress. DuPont non-stick coatings will not begin to deteriorate in appearance or performance until the temperature of the cookware reaches about 500°F.

    Regulatory agencies, consumer groups and health associations all have taken a close look at Teflon. This article highlights what they found -- the bottom line is that you can use Teflon without worry.

  6. Well I agree and Teflon is not the best thing for us, and as a vet I can verify that it is highly toxic to pet birds, but I thought I would point out that most non-stick cookware today is not teflon coated. A lot of it is hard anodized. I don't know if it has any bad side-effects but at least its not teflon. So before every tosses their non-stick pots and pans check to see if it is teflon or not. :)

  7. thanks Kate! I checked with my pot and pan makers and they are made of Duramic.. My Raclette, and bread machine however....along with 2 bread pans i have are made with this coating...